Friday, June 7, 2013

Monkey with a Tool Belt - a review



My two sons love all-things boy; dirt, cars, trucks, construction, tools, police officers, knights, and firemen. At some point my eldest son, D, wanted books about tools. I started doing searches on Amazon for good books for boys on the subject of tools. I finally came across a book that seemed intriguing so I requested it from the library. D immediately fell in love with the main character, Chico Bon Bon.


There are three books in the series starring Chico Bon Bon, Monkey with a Tool Belt, Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem and Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Seaside Shenanigans by author/illustrator Chris Monroe. These are great if your child likes silly creative stories. The illustrations are simple, yet incredibly detailed. We have read this series countless times and it never gets old or boring, even for me. All the books are ultimately about problem-solving but the kids do not realize, because of the great storytelling. 

In Monkey With a Tool Belt you are introduced to Chico and learn about his skills as a handy-monkey. In Monkey With a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem, Chico has to deal with a mystery that creates noise. Finally, in Monkey With A Tool Belt and the Seaside Shenanigans, Chico has to solve another mystery and fix a lot of problems at a seaside resort. I hope Chris Monroe adds more to this series because I know my boys would be thrilled ( we have her other book, The Sneaky Sheep BUT D is afraid of it and we haven't made it through the entire book yet).

I highly recommend this series for any child in you life, especially the boys!


 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment